religiously, for years. Filling
a rusted coffee can with sunflower
seeds, she loaded the feeder outside
her big picture
window, daily.
Seated with binoculars
and bird book in hand,
she watched the window like a big screen TV.
A .22 leaned casually against the window frame.
She slipped its nose out occasionally, firing a round
into marauding Blue Jays and other greedy types.
Her letters to me, in shaky script, described
birds
she saw and bears; often
mother bears
moving through the old
orchard on
their way to the river
with cubs in
tow.
She stopped shooting the rifle, she said,
after she accidentally shot a hole in the floor.
When a bold bear came and
stood outside the window
making eye
contact with her, she also stopped feeding the
birds.
I wanted her
to feed them anyway,
to stand her
petite frame in the wide
window,
binoculars in one hand and riffle
in the
other, like a sharp shooter in the WWII
movies Grandpa and I watched in her
living
room. I wanted food for the birds,
which were
food for her. I wanted her to keep
feeding
them.
Now I walk my own property
toting bags
of oiled, black sunflower seeds.
One by one I lower, fill, and rehang feeders.
I watch dumpy
doves, dapper
cardinals, bright yellow finches
and the greedy squirrel who
hangs upside-down by his back toes.
I lift my
children to face the window, “Look! See!,” I
say.
We’re a long way from the mountains,
though I can
see them in the distance.
I don’t
believe the bears
will find me here,
but if they do, maybe I’ll tell them
about my
Grandmother – her binoculars and gun,
her happy, well-fed chickadees.

sweet, sweet bird story, Kelly. my husband and I are the grandma and the grandpa, too. How we love the chickadees (and juncos, and housewrens, and finches...especially the goldfinches.)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete